Read: running 3 legs of varying miles, hopping in and out of the van, navigating the back roads of nw washington, little to no sleep....oh wait...I slept for about 30 minutes in a field somewhere in the Skagit Valley then again for about an hour at Deception pass - at 2 a.m.
Best running experience yet. I loved it. I'm always up for a crazy adventure and this really tested me physically and mentally.
We started the day packing the van and heading up to Blaine for our start time at 9:15 a.m.
After the fanfare of the start, we followed the route to cheer on our first runner. Basically the entire time goes like this: get to the next exchange, getting the next runner ready, standing around, cheering on other runners, getting back in the van, driving a few miles, cheering on your runner, drive to the next exchange. All the while trying to eat, snooze, change clothes, make chatter with your van mates.
My first leg started about 11 a.m. somewhere in rural Blaine, WA. I was so nervous I briefly thought if I trip and hit my head, I won't have to run this leg. :-) As Jan came into the exchange, I thought, oh my god, here we go.....6 miles ahead of me, go go go.
The first few miles of my leg were gorgeous farmland.....cows who looked at me like I was crazy as I ran by and moo'd at them, rolling hills and Mt. Baker in the distance, it was the perfect run. Oh, and it was a gentle downhill for the first 3 miles, that was a bonus. Around mile 4 I hit a major roadway/highway - that's where tedium set in and I was ready to be done with this leg. It was getting warmer and I was getting a little nervous about the back pain that was setting in. As I rounded the last 1/4 mile to the exchange, I picked up the pace came in with a smile....knowing I had about 8 hours to stretch and prepare for my next leg.
At Exchange 6 in Bellingham, we met up with Van Tutu - the rest of the Orange Ogre team.
Stay tuned for part II - the night time legs.






No comments:
Post a Comment