Friday, December 19, 2008

Half Marathon #2 COMPLETE!!!

Woo Hoo, Yipee, Yeee Haaaaaw! #2 half marathon completed! 2 years ago, I never would have never thought I would have completed 1, let alone 2....wow, what an accomplishment. I decided in September that the Seattle Half would be my next challenge - which only left me 2 months to train. Right, only two months to train...yikes. I never doubted my ability to finish, only my ability to finish with a better time than Vancouver. I also didn't know I wouldn't be alone this time. I had casually mentioned to the "group" that I was going to sign up, and casually said, hey, if anyone wants to join me, feel free. Well, someone took me up on it, and then I got scared. :-) Kelly said she'd join me - now, let me back up. Kelly Holliman - when you look up athletic in the dictionary, or wikipedia, etc. there is a picture of Kelly - 6 foot superstar volleyball player and all around kick ass lady. She does it all - awesome skier, hiker, runner, biker (mt, not vrrm vrmm), and SUPER competitive. And then there's me - all 5 feet 3 inches of me....spunky, yes, athletic.....sure, ready to take on a challenge, on my terms. :-) I was going to get left in the dust - which was fine, but still a little nerve wracking.

Well, I was wrong about being left in the dust - we did great, Kelly ended up walking with me the whole time (except when I ditched her when she had a potty stop). It was so much harder than I expected. The terrain was much different and made for a much more painful experience. There were more hills than Vancouver and the course wasn't as inviting as Vancouver. My time was 20 minutes longer than Vancouver, so overall I did well and finished and got to do the race with a great girlfriend. That's what matters (even though I'm still a little bitter about the time) :-) Will I do this one again? Not sure, but now I know what to expect. The list for 2009 is the Mercer Island (maybe), the Hippie Chick in Oregon, Rock and Roll Seattle, Danskin Triathlon, and to round out the year - the Las Vegas or Seattle Half in the late fall. Quite ambitious.

No comments: