Saturday, June 19, 2010

Race Report: Cottage Lake

I felt a little rushed this morning - trying to make sure I had all of my gear, getting some food in me, loading the car and heading out.  I arrived a little later than I would have liked, but all went well and I found where to rack my bike....that's when I realized that the reason I like to get to a race really early is to stake out my spot. Space hogs.  I had to squeeze into a spot and then head to the lake for go time.

The water was really cold - thankfully I wore my rash guard over my suit, giving me that millimeter extra insulation.  Swimming felt great, I got stuck in a pack of newbies but finally broke free and found my rhythm.  Unfortunately because it was so cold, I breast stroked most of the leg, but with a quick pace.

The bike leg is my weakest.  I'm not a strong cyclist, I'm on a mountain bike, and I need to get better.  4 1/2 mile double loop and the hill got me both times.  The first, I was ready to vomit anyway - the combo of goo gel and electrolyte water didn't sit well (thankfully I didn't actually barf), the second time, my mind got the better of me and I just plain quit trying and hopped off and walked fast up the hill. As I was making the turn back into the park, one of the volunteers wasn't paying attention and crossed right in front of me, almost causing me to tumble...I won't apologize for what I said to her....she was an idiot. (yes, it involved three f-bombs - I was going fast around a corner - MOVE!)

The run/walk was good - it took me a little longer than normal to find my legs, but then my pace quickened.

As I rounded the final corner, I broke into a sprint (as much as I can call what I did sprinting)  :-)

Decent overall time.  Nice to get out there and be a part of something fun.  Made me more aware of my weaknesses and what I need to work on in the next few months.

Overall - great race put on by a great group of people. 

No comments: