Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fun times in Texas

We packed a lot in our few days in Austin - lots of good food, several trips to the Whole Foods mothership, a visit to Mellow Johnny's, a swim in the longest outdoor natural swimming area I've ever seen, and a stroll along South Congress to check out fun shops.

We made our first night in town out our "party" night since staying out late the night before a race is strongly discouraged. :-)  We started at a fun bar along the party strip, Dogwood. Had drinks while enjoying being outside (granted, it wasn't super warm, but warm enough to be outside having a drink....unlike frigid Seattle).


















From there we went in search of the music scene and ended up listening to amazing music at The Continental Club.  We went up the stairs into what felt like someones living room.  At one end of the room there was a trio of gentlemen playing the drums, guitar and what looked like an organ.  The music was phenomenal.  I have no idea what the name of the band was, only that I felt like we were experiencing the true Austin. 

Saturday brought more adventures - race packet pick up, a trip to Mellow Johnnie's and the Whole Foods HQ.

Race pick up is always a fun morning,  the excitement of the race, wandering the aisles for "much needed" gear.  I came away with new compression socks (that I don't think have enough compression), a cool  Livestrong t-shirt and a few other random running things.


The excitement of packet pick up.


We then headed to the Whole Foods Flagship.  This place was amazing.  It was like any other Whole Foods...but ginormous.  The build your own trail mix bar was a definite draw.  Wandering around, I found this gorgeous display of apples.  YUM!


Once we had enough snacks to last the weekend, we walked to Mellow Johnny's bike shop.  I loved seeing all of the cool bikes.  Also stopped in for a little coffee treat at Juan Pelota, attached to the bike shop.
 Hi Lance!  Stopped in at your bike shop, loved it. 

I'm a lot like this bike.....a little sassy and one speed.
(One day, I'll kick my running up to 2 speeds) 


With the race behind us, Monday was a flurry of swimming at Barton Springs and vintage shopping on S. Congress. 

 I really enjoyed the un-Texas vibe of Austin, but you never forget that you are still in Texas.
 The coveted boot lifter from Uncommon Objects vintage shop. Only fitting that it's a long horn. 
It was the best souvenir and worth the extra weight in my luggage. 
I'll post the boot lifter in action soon.
So many food trucks - definitely will have to go back check more of them out.





No comments: