BMO Vancouver Half Marathon
Photo Credit: BMO Vancouver Marathon Website
I registered for the Vancouver Half pretty much within a week of the race opening. This would be my 4th time. I love this race. I love Vancouver, I love the run (even that bastard hill at mile 7), I love the energy. I was really excited when I saw they were changing the course. Although I really enjoyed the old course I was EXTRA excited that the new one had a 5 mile decent at the start of the race. This one was going to be my PR race. I could see the finish time in my head - much faster than my last two races. It was mine.
Cut to one month ago. Training was going well, I was missing some group runs because I was out of town, but everything was going well according to my training schedule. Although still frustrated I hadn't had a diagnosis what what was going on with my weight, I was feeling really good. Then came Easter weekend. I had gone on a run that Saturday morning and kept feeling a pulling in my right knee (the one with the torn ACL - I know....I should have had surgery! Um, no thanks.....I have issues with losing hours in the time/space continuum. Irrational? Yes. Bug off).
As the run progressed, the pain got worse, so I did what I do best. Ignore it. (Foolish, I know).
Then I got in the car and drove 3 hours to Ephrata. Played with small children. Walked a lot around the compound. And finished the night with several hours of a Wii dance off with the adults. Result: severely strained knee. Solution: 2-3 weeks off. F!#%K! I had no choice. Really swollen and very painful, I hobbled around for about a week. I thought I was better so I tried to run. Um, nope, sorry. It hurt even worse. I sometimes don't make the best choices regarding listening to my body.
A week later, I got a weight diagnosis after my 3rd blood test. Leptin Resistance. A HA! At least someone could tell me what was wrong. Solution: VERY strict eating plan which did not include any sugar or starch (ie.....no FUEL for runs/workouts) for at least 3 weeks. Then slowly adding in some good starches in the following weeks.
With significant input from Coach Lesley, I accepted my decision and decided not to run....or walk...or start with the intention of only going as far as I could (I'd probably be the one pulled off the course....stopping isn't generally an option for me,(read about Austin here; hence the decision to not start at all).
It was a really hard choice that included tears and maybe some foot stomping, but in the long run it's the best one. I'll come back in a few months feeling fantastic. Right now I can muster the energy for a 3 mile walk, an hour core workout and I completed a 5 mile bike time trial/field test on Sunday (I was exhausted for the rest of the day). I try to do what's on my schedule.....if I can do at least part of it, it's better than nothing. I'm hitting the gym tonight for a 45 minute elliptical workout....we'll see what happens!
I'm still planning to do Ragnar at the end of July and I'm heading to a training camp in a few weeks to work on biking and swimming. Doing what I can do is my motto right now. Pushing it but not completely overdoing it.
I'll be at the start line to watch friends start their races. I'm excited for them......I see a few PRs coming their way.
.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment