What I wanted to see while running at the Vancouver Half last weekend:
Photo taken by me last year at mile 5.5
What I actually saw on Race Morning:
The spectator side of the start line.
It was a fantastic morning. The weather was perfect, the sun was out and the course was going to be fast. I got up and went to the start line with Stacy. We had a moment of anxiety when we got to the skytrain station and there were so many people lined up that we had to wait until the next train arrived to board. Once off the train, we walked to the start line with about 10 minutes to spare. I wished her well and found a spot where I could see the beginning of the race.
Earlier in the week, I kept beating myself up over not doing the race. I wanted it so bad, but I also knew my nagging knee injury coupled with only eating protein and basically fiber for the last few weeks was not a good recipe for running 13.1 miles. Even while at the Expo the day before, I was beating myself up. On one hand I was so excited to be there to cheer on a good friend but on the other I was feeling like I had somehow failed.
I was so excited to cheer for Stacy at the start....I had never been on the spectator side of the start line before and was ready to be the best cheerleader ever. :-)
While standing there in the moments right before the horn blew to begin the race, I had a very Yoda moment. I suddenly had a peacefulness come over me. I knew this was the right decision and that it was ok. This wasn't my time to run this race and that was ok too. I would get stronger, feel better and come back to run this race next year, as a better athlete. I let go of the anger, frustration, feelings of failure and disappointment.....and that was the best feeling.
After the start, I hopped back on the train to downtown, had breakfast with Karen who had also joined us on the trip (but as a mommy of 2 boys, chose to wish Stacy good luck from the comfort of bed), we both headed to a spectator spot just before the finish. This would let us see her near the finish then run across the street to the next block to see her cross the finish line.
It was a fantastic feeling to cheer people on in their last few hundred yards. Some looked like they were just out for a little jog while others looked like they had earned every mile. In the distance we saw Stacy, she was looking good, alternating between walking and running. As she passed us for a final high five, she picked up her pace and started running fast toward the finish. We hurried across the street just in time to hear the first marathoner was also approaching the finish line.
I think they crossed at almost the same time. Stacy had earned her PR and she looked great at the finish. I'm so happy I was there to cheer her on.
Lots of commotion going on....and Stacy crossing the finish in front of the white tent.
Go Stac!!!! Congrats on your PR!!!
One more down before we do the Vineman Half Ironman!!!
Fun photos from our weekend adventures will be posted soon.

1 comment:
It sounds like you made a smart choice, and I understand the mixed emotions....I'm going to be watching my husband in another race next week, and while watching has its own way of being fun, it's not as much fun as running! Congrats to your friend on her PR, though.
Post a Comment