Monday, May 5, 2008

Rome - Day 1

We arrived in Rome and to our great surprise, our "hotel" was 4 blocks away and we didn't have to pay to use the elevator. I use the word hotel loosely since our bathroom was as the smallest yet. I could sit on the commode, brush my teeth and shower all at the same time.....and then dry off with what Cory affectionately calls "prison towels". The twin beds are cracking me up.....it's basically two twin mattresses that are pushed together to make a double, or in our case, moved 3 inches apart and made into two twin beds. Lovely.

After dropping our stuff off, we ventured down the road to our first stop......The Roman Forum, The Colosseum and Palatine Hill. It was jaw dropping....the forum was filled with amazing columns and Roman ruins - the history was spectacular..my favorite tidbit was the house of the vestal virgins. They stoked the fires of the church across from their house with the pools in front where they would spend their days lounging in the sun between keeping the fires burning.

Off to Palatine Hill where we saw old "houses" of the roman people and the beautiful gardens that overlooks the forum.

We then set off to see the Colosseum, it was really breathtaking - the photos I post will not do it justice. Again, another jaw dropping site. If you listened hard enough, you could hear the roar of the roman crowds after a fight. Ok, maybe that was all the tour groups, but I'd like to think I could hear a little bit of ancient history.

After a packed afternoon, we found a good gelato store and sat down and took a little break before seeing the Maritime Prison (I'm not so sure it had anything to do with the sea) and the St. Peter's in Chains church.

No comments: