Monday, May 12, 2008

Rome - Day 2 (Italian Labor Day)

The morning started with a lovely cappuccino and pastry while we sat outside a quaint little cafe, pondering our route for the day. It was nice knowing that the day would be pretty mellow since mostly everything was closed for the holiday.

Once I had my navigational bearings, we set off to see Tritone's fountain - a great Bernini piece. Walking along the busy streets of Rome, we had no idea what was in store for us. The first stop was nice, there were several people looking at the fountain, but we got to take some great photos.

Next, we headed to Trevi Fountain - it was about 3 blocks away I knew we were in trouble...the crowds started getting bigger and the tour guides umbrellas were popping up everywhere.....hold your breath, we're going in! Well, the closer we got to the fountain was probably 10 people back. Who knew that everyone else had the same idea we did....everything closed - go see the free stuff! We had to squeeze and push our way to get some pictures - sorry to any little old italians I may or may not have hip checked while trying to escape.
From there we ventured to the Spanish Steps.......I am not even going to write what came out of my mouth when we crossed the street to face the steps.....it was a lot of very colorful words. Uh...what steps!? They were full of people.From there we went up the steps (or it could have been people I stepped on, I'm not quite sure) to the Borghese Gardens - a great park for a picnic and some time to rest. Once in the park, Cory eyed some golf cart looking bicycles for rent....so of course we had to enquire. It was well worth the 5 euros each to cackle hysterically for the next hour. We tore through the park like maniacs....going down paths we shouldn't, and getting yelled at in Italian for doing so....good thing I can't understand Italian! It was quite the ride -

After that we made our way down to several piazzas to look at the great sculptures and street vendors. It was an exhausting day - there were so many crowds and we totalled about 8 miles of walking. Home for some rest....tomorrow the Vatican.

No comments: