Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Arrival in Boston




Our first day in Boston was packed with excitement - touring the city most of the day while we waited to check into the apartment we rented at 189 Beacon Street. We started the morning at Dunkin Donuts to get some coffee (how local of us), then we meandered the streets of Back Bay taking photos (Geoff is VERY patient with my artsy photos....I believe his words were "HOW many reflection pictures do you NEED?! - I'm mildly obsessed with taking pics of things that are reflected in buildings, water, reflective things...mock me now, but when I make BIG BUCKS from selling those cool photos to buy you a Ferrari, who'll be mocking then!) heading over to the Charles to check out the water and Hatch Shell. From there we ventured into downtown and back to the Common for a little break before heading out to Jamaica Plain to visit the Samuel Adams Brewery.

I love it when you can learn something and drink beer at the same time. Mind you, it's not a glass of champagne, but beer is beer and beer is good. Especially Sam Adams, and especially when you get to sample several varieties. The other couple at our table was from the mid-west and the wife was an amateur brewer and it was fun to listen to her talk about the different things she uses in her brew. After a few hours of beer tasting, we were off to pick up our stuff and head to our "home".



After scrambling up 3 flights of narrow, steep stairs with our weighty (ok, MY) luggage, we took the opportunity for a little nap prior to our big evening event.....a game at FENWAY! We headed out the door with plenty of time to meander our way to the stadium, enjoying watching people flock to game. We found the perfect hats and t-shirts to fit in with the rest of the Red Sox Nation, and then enjoyed some sausages before heading into the park. Geoff was in nirvana - it was like watching a kid in the candy store - he was looking around, taking it all in, pondering deep baseball thoughts. I loved watching him (I enjoy baseball, he LOVES the history, the game, the players). We found our seats and just sat there watching the park buzz with the sound of exuberant Red Sox fans - and then the heckling began. It was glorious! My original concern was that after a red-eye flight, I might close my eyes briefly and accidentally fall asleep during the game.....that didn't even come close to happening. I loved the atmosphere of people who are so completely devoted to the team and the game, they will stop at nothing to berate the other team, and other fans if necessary to pledge their allegiance to the Red Sox. It was a great night and one I'll never forget.

The next day we were complete tourists and did the Duck Tour. Our driver, Captain Covert was hysterical and we had a great time touring the city. Once we hit the water, he asked if anyone wanted to drive the "boat" - after the kids all had a turn, both Geoff and I jumped up and had our chance to drive Frog Pond Lilly.

Over the next few days, we went to Quincy - birthplace of John Adams, wandered around Harvard and navigated the Freedom Trail (that took us 3 days, but well worth the extra side trips).

A great way to start the summer - a fun trip to Boston!

No comments: