Days later and I'm still tired. I'm not sure if it's a culmination of several stressful weeks, then the race, or just the race....but geez, I'm TIRED! Here's a recap of the fun weekend in BC!
Race morning - 4:30 a.m. and the alarm is going off - I couldn't get to sleep the night before - probably the huge dinner and then the banana nutella crepe sitting in my stomach.....yep.
I look outside - clouds, but no rain. I turn on the weather channel - rain starting at 8 a.m. and not stopping...ever.
Marc joined us for a pre-race breakfast and walk to the starting line. He's a trooper. I would have stayed in that million thread count bed. Thanks Marc for the support.....just be back in time to pick us up with the car. :-)
The start is always where I have the most emotion - butterflies, tears and a dash of calmness (strange combo, but that's what it is). For me, the start line is far more emotional than the finish and I think this was even more so since I have proclaimed it to be my last half marathon. It was really nice having a peep there, I've done most of my races alone and that brings along a whole other set of emotions.
It started raining about 100 feet after crossing the start line - at first a little mist, then a little harder and by mile 3 it was full on pouring down rain. I was a little nervous that I was starting to feel puddles forming in my jacket pocket that I had left unzipped.
The scenery changed from downtown streets to the marina and entrance to Stanley Park, the kilometers kept ticking by and by the half way point I was still feeling great. At about mile 7 there's a HUGE hill (the only elevation in the race) and it lasts for at least a half mile. I kept my head down, looking about 4 feet ahead and didn't talk the entire time. I was so focused on getting to the top and trying really hard to forget that my left hip flexor was starting to burn.
Once at the top, I started reminding myself that I felt good, nothing hurt (big lies - that's what I was telling myself), and stay on pace. Going downhill to mile 9 was bugging my right knee and my feet were starting to hurt. My pace slowed at mile 10 and at that point I reminded myself that all I had left was the distance around Greenlake - I could do it, not in record time, but I could finish strong. The last 3 miles were long....the pain was getting the better of me, my pace was slowing a little more but I was almost done. Stacy pulled ahead the last mile and a half, but I kept her in my sight, plodding toward the finish. The last mile is lined with cheering spectators and miraculously all of a sudden, all of my pain went away, the heavens opened up, the sun started shining, and my pace quickened enough to almost catch up with Stacy. As I was about 200 feet from the finish, I realized that the decision I had made for this to be the last was the right one. I felt great, I was happy, and I was DONE!
I didn't beat my time from the first time I did the race, but that was ok. I finished, I was happy. My half marathon "career" had come full circle. Vancouver was my first one several years ago, an amazing accomplishment......and my last....a happy ending.
No comments:
Post a Comment