Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The First Ladies of MAS

This was the 11th year of the MAS clan heading to Mark's cabin at Indianola.
For those that don't know (here's where I'm assuming there's more than 2 people reading), MAS stands for Mutual Admiration Society, the name given to the group years ago when we would compliment each other's attributes after each outing.  Odd, yes.  Funny - absolutely, but that's the name and it stuck.

The group changes like the tide - some years we're so big, we're bursting at the seams, other years, people have other things going on in their busy lives and there's just enough room for everyone. This year we had 8 adults and 5 kids.

It's been something I look forward to every summer....getting together with my best peeps, some we only see once or twice a year, laughing, telling stories, talking about new ventures, debating current issues (for the record...I don't think Elin deserves a dime), reminiscing about times long ago before husbands, wives,babies. 

Where the days used to consist of football games at low tide, happy hour starting at 10 a.m. and continuing until the wee hours of the next morning, lounging around the cabin with loads of trashy magazines to read, the cabin days now consist of early risers that demand breakfast at 7 a.m., constant reminders to close the door, playing with sand toys at the beach, exploring all of the tide pools and crazy sea creatures, nap time for the little one's, one eye always on the gate to the suicide stairs,  early departures from the fire to get a good night of sleep.

I wouldn't trade these days for anything.  I love seeing all of the kiddies growing up and becoming little people. I love the closer bonds of friendship that come with getting older and wiser. I guess the bottom line is I really love my peeps and consider you my brothers and sisters in our large, sometimes dysfunctional MAS family.  I'm very thankful to have you guys in my life and truly cherish the times I get to spend with you.


No comments: