Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Warrior Dash

Warrior Dash - the craziest frickin' day of your life.

That's what it was called, and it was very true. The entire race was done on dirt trails all over Horning's Hideout in North Plains, OR.

The start was marked by two fire cannons shooting into the air - CRAZY #1

As I began the fast descent down the first hill, trying to avoid being trampled, the true fear set in.  What had I done.  With my heart beating in my throat, I made it through the first little river, completely soaking my shoes.  Awesome.  Then as I looked up, I was hit in the face with the three steepest hills EVER!  I had to stop and walk most of it, but that was OK - it meant I wasn't going to be trampled.

The first obstacle was climbing into a pond and getting over three logs that were suspended in the water.....the water was about chest height, and really cold.  With a little help from friends, I made it over without a problem.  We had lost Marc after the first hill and Stacy was well on her way ahead of me.  Onto the bales of hay, no problem!  Then the serious obstacles started.  A bungee cord maze, over a crazy wooden structure that was pretty much vertical and then after sliding down a hill, I came to two cargo nets - one vertical, the other horizontal.  That was not awesome.  Over the hill and through some more woods came jumping over three rows of wrecked out cars and then onto the final hill where a tunnel greeted me.  Through the tunnel, back down the hill to the last two obstacles....fire and mud.  Fire did me in and I chickened out.  I just couldn't bring myself to leaping over three foot flames and hope I didn't burst into flames.  I weenied out and went around....shockingly no one boo'd.  I happily jumped into the mud pit, crawling under barbed wire, swimming my way to the finish. 


 Before the race with our Warrior helmets

After the race....and after the "shower" in the pond


Mmmmm....turkey legs and beer
Definitely harder than a triathlon, but VERY excited to do it again next year.

Me and my HUGE turkey leg

No comments: