Monday, December 19, 2011

Little Demons

I run.  I think too much when I run.  It's amazing what goes through your mind when your pounding out mile after mile.  Normally, I keep the little devils in check since I normally have a great running buddy....who is temporarily injured... but Saturday they got out and I had a tough run.  On the agenda was 8 miles with the CL team....a great route from Greenlake over the U Bridge, up into Capitol Hill and a glorious decent into downtown and Pike Place Market....then back around Lake Union to car.   :-) 
After a week of gluttonous Christmas parties, Saturday morning was the telltale of my week....puffy eyes, puffy everything.  This was going to be one of those days. 

Around mile 2 they (my mind demons) started in on me.....feeling every extra ounce of weight gained during the week.  They urged me to walk and I kept fighting them off.  Around mile 3 I lost the battle....walked for a little while, regained my composure and flicked them off my shoulder.  Stopped for water at the 3 mile checkpoint, didn't really talk to CL and just kept moving.  I knew one way or another I could get the miles in....probably at a good run/walk pace.

At 3.5 I completely lost my marbles....almost hyperventilating because I let the little buggers get to me again and started crying.  WHY?!  Yeah, I have no clue.  I really don't.  I wasn't in pain, I was frustrated that I couldn't shrug them off.  At one point I even shouted....PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!  I'm hoping no one else heard me.  :-)

Just as I got myself together, Sjohn and Maddie dog came by....we had a great chat, she said some motivating words and I started to feel much better.  That's when the blister started.

Mile 4 was the pick up point for some folks.  As I ran up the hill I saw CL.  She was standing waiting for me with water.  I stopped, lamented about my burning tootsie, shed one last little tear of defeat for the day.....and got in the car.  Saturday wasn't my day.  Not every run is going to be a breeze....if it were, everyone would be doing Ironman and marathons.

Post note:  I ran last night.  I kicked ass.  It was a great run around the Olympic Manor neighborhood....full of holiday lights and cheer!  Take that little demons.  I'm banishing you from my mind....and I'm donating the brand new shoes that have been causing this blister.  2 times wearing the shoes, 2 times getting a f'ing blister.

At least this was the view from the run.....
photo credit: A.Kerkof

No comments: