Friday, March 4, 2011

Every trail and run after this will seem easy

The Scene:  Some godforsaken part of east king county, the ass crack of dawn, freezing temperatures, 6 miles of up ahead of us.

The moon looked amazing early that morning.  Too bad that was going to be the only awesome part of the day.....except the part where we finished.

Not my finest morning - thankfully there's a really amazing cheerleader on my side and my running partner is awesome.  It started out like any other early morning Saturday trail run - freezing cold, following the markers, two doggies to join us in the trek from Newcastle Beach to what felt like the top of Cougar Mountain.  Unfortunately, we missed the turn that took us onto the trail from hell.....which meant some back tracking, a frantic phone call and a clearly marked turn that somehow both of us failed to see.  Once on the trail, the head start we had quickly diminished as a few groups passed us within 5 minutes of being on this f'd up route.  It was icy in spots, muddy in others, steep and narrow with serious drops on one side.  I knew we just needed to keep moving, not concentrating on trying to run, just trying to survive. (I'm being really dramatic, but at the time, that's how it felt).  Within another mile, I was done and wanted my mommy or an airlift the hell out of that canyon.  I kept thinking - if this is so hard for me, how the hell am I going to deal with a half ironman?  Fear, cold, mud and lack of confidence got the better of me and one little tear started to fall.....at the same time the questioning phone call came.....how are you?  Fffffffine.  Are you ok? Yyyyessss.  Let me talk to Sheena...oooookkkkk.  I handed the phone to her, kept walking and the tears kept rolling.  I knew the canyon was 3 miles long until the water stop, we had a little way to go....survive.  Get there.  Collapse. Cry.  Go home.

Another phone call - how are you doing? Ffffiiine.  We're almost to mile 3.  Ok - just remember this, Vancouver will seem easy compared to these few miles on the trail.  Iiiii knnnnnow.  Tears.

At the water stop, we stopped, had a moment of complete tears, we hugged it out and ventured on.  We needed to get to mile 6 - we were going to do it.  Forging ahead on the trail after my minor melt down was SO MUCH BETTER!  It was still all up but wider, more forgiving and not as scary.  I kept thinking of bargains I could make with Lesley for the next time a trail run came up....how about I run TWO loops around Lake Union (12 miles - 99% flat and on pavement) instead of a 5 mile trail run.  (I think that's a totally acceptable trade...and frankly a much easier one)  I don't like up.  And I ESPECIALLY don't like up on a muddy trail while RUNNING.

I understand the theory behind the trail runs and  I know the boss knows best.  I also know that my workouts will seem a little bit easier now that I've had my first meltdown.  I'm sure there will be more, probably for different reasons, but this was the first.  In a way it's kind of like being in the Army....she's breaking me down to build me back up.  :-)  Ok not really.  I would recommend CL.com to anyone.  It's one of the better decisions I've ever made.

No comments: