Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My first ice bath...and I survived.

When I started all of this training, I had no idea what was really in store for this adventure.  I've been kicking ass, running, doing all of my workouts, getting stronger, meeting new people and enjoying every minute of the process. 

A few weeks ago, on the agenda was an interval track workout.  It's probably best I had no idea what was about to take place, otherwise I probably would have made an excuse to work late.  :-)  Long story short, I was supposed to do 4 laps at 3 minutes each, with an easy lap in between, with the warm up and run back to the start it was to be a 4 mile workout.  No problem!  Ahem....that was until the pace person had me do 2 laps about about 2.2 minutes (which apparently equals a 10 minute mile) GULP!  We had some technical watch difficulties so the pace was unintentional, but I had a moment where I thought I was either going to cry or barf....but I had to breathe first.  The next two laps were on pace and MUCH easier.  It was an eye opening evening, I survived, I did really well and I am thankful to have great, supportive workout peeps.

Fast forward to a few days later at core class....my right side was tingly (not really a good sign) and it was determined that I had pinched something in my butt/lower back, probably from the track workout on Tuesday.  I spent most of class on the evil foam roller, which while it makes me sweat, it really, really helps on those awful spots that hurt so bad.  The prescription was to stop at 7-11 on the way home, get 2 bags of ice and go sit in a bathtub of cold water and ice.  What an AWESOME Thursday night at the E-Dogg compound.

Picture this:   I'm wearing bike shorts, thermal shirt, hot pink arm warmers, fleece vest, woolly hat and fleece gloves to be put on after all of the ice was dumped all around me.  I sat in the tub, filled it a little bit with cold water (eek), then dump the ice around me.  I knew I had to get past the first 2 minutes and everything would be smooth sailing for the remaining 13 minutes.  There was instant relief on the hot spots in my back and butt.  Then, the rest of my legs and heels became numb....easy.  When my time was up, I slowly got up from the tub (I couldn't feel my feet), stepped out onto the bathmat and proceeded to get ready to put on the jammies and jump into the pre-heated nest! 

As I got under the covers, I was still wearing a wool hat, the arm warmers and a long sleeved shirt, along with the thermal jammies and cheetah feet.  I panicked for a moment when the feeling started returning to my lower body....going from numb to freezing cold to slowly warming up with the electric blanket on high made it feel like I was wetting the bed.  Yikes.

All in the spirit of kicking ass at the Vancouver Half....then onto triathlon season!

No comments: