Wednesday, January 11, 2012

We don't joke about the Yeti

Saturday's group run was at Tiger Mountain - read: trail run.  Normally this would launch me into a PTSD moment (Cougar Mountain Trail Run ), but I'm trying to embrace trail running and agreed to give it a go.  It was only a 6 mile loop, first three being a gentle decent then the last three being an angry climb.  (or maybe it was just me that was going to be angry since it was up, up and more up). 

It was a really peaceful morning, kind of cloudy, great temperature. We started on a road then veered onto a railroad grade trail (nice and wide).  I had a good pace going, alternating running with a couple of people then pulling ahead by myself.    I was feeling great, breathing was good, legs felt strong.... as we got more into the woods, I started thinking of what you're supposed to do if you see a cougar (get big and loud), or a bear (small, silent and hope for the best). This area is known for being a bit Wild Kingdom-esque.  It was just about then that I heard some other people in our group getting closer.  As Mark ran past, he grabbed me and said.....better be on the lookout for Sasquatch.  GULP.  Holy cow, I didn't event think about the possibilities of YETI! 

Now...I know this sounds ridiculous, but one of my completely irrational fears (I have a few), is being in the woods and encountering a yeti. Stop laughing.....it's true. A few minutes later and in the deep woods alone, I started to hear things. I would stop, see if I could tell if it was higher or lower on the food chain than me....then keep going...picking up the pace each time.  Up, up, up I went, trotting along at a good clip.  Then I came upon a flat area that looked like this.... 



A perfect place for a yeti to hide.

Moral of the story is:  Do not joke about the yeti.  I don't ever want to have an up close encounter, thank you very much.

I've been having some iffy running days lately but this definitely put me back on the upswing.

No comments: